Re: [squid-users] SQUID PAC-File and JAVA (1.6.11)

From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh_at_gcd.ie>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 17:46:20 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009, Volker Jahns wrote:

> We have a lot of IE clients here with a url..proxy.pac file as proxy
> configuration and without automatically finding a proxy server. Whenever we
> use SSL explorer and a JAVA program the final sync failed. If I change the
> configuration to the same manual proxy server and its port it works.

In my experience, what the Java VM can read in proxy.pac/wpad.dat files is
somewhat more limited than IE. I'd suggest you keep a _very_ simple wpad
if at all possible. For example, don't try and code the wpad.dat to use
its own IP address. That really doesn't work in lots of situations.

A tcpdump/windump on the computer watching port 80 should give you an idea
whether Java is really following the proxy settings you think it should.

If you want you can post your script here.

Gavin