Re: [squid-users] Re: squid bad performance - cache_dir on

From: Jeff Pang <pangj_at_arcor.de>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 21:17:48 +0800

2009/8/25 J Webster <webster_jack_at_hotmail.com>:
> Does anyone have any ideas for this? I'm lost.
> The performance is pretty poor for video when using cache_dir.

We also had bad experience on caching Videos with Squid.
It was about 3 years ago, the company openned a project like Youtube.
We tried to use squid-2.6 for video caching, but got worse result.
So we gave up squid, used lighttpd instead, and distributed video
files to each webserver.

For your case, could consider these two ways:

1. use aufs instead of ufs under linux.
2. use tmpfs for cache_dir's file system.

Good luck.