Re: [squid-users] problems setting up accelerator mode in squid 2.7

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 02:53:29 +1200

Brett Lymn wrote:
> I have quite a few squid proxies, they are running a rather old
> version of squid (2.5stable6 mostly) so they are well overdue for an
> update. I have built squid 2.7stable5 without problems but have run
> into problems when deploying the update. The machines I am updating
> are running as httpd accelerators and as proxies. I have this working
> fine with 2.5 but things break in 2.7 and I am not sure how to fix
> it. In my 2.7 squid.conf I put:
>
> http_port 80 accel vhost
> cache_peer server.ip.address.here parent 81 0 no-query originserver
>
> which seems to do mostly the right thing - caching works and fetches
> from the accelerated host work but I get errors in the cache.log
> saying that the CONNECT method is not supported in accelerator mode.
> I couldn't see a way of fixing this error. Can I make this work or
> should I just configure another port to perform caching?

You need to send the normal proxy requests to a different port than the
one receiving reverse-proxy (accel) requests.

With current Squid you do that by adding a second http_port entry (3128
should do) and pointing the browser configurations there.

... and double-check your config against this to make sure everything is
right:
   http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Reverse/BasicAccelerator

Amos

--