[squid-users] Hardware configuration for Squid that can handle 100 - 200 Mbps

From: Paul Khadra <rmerheb_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 08:37:56 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I wish to buy hardware for squid that can support internet traffic of 200
Mbps. I have read a lot of documents on the forums but none has not got the
best answer.

1- Shall I go to intel or opteron?

2- I can get 32GB memory but will 64 GB memory give an advatnage ?

3- I can get the HP DL38x series. They have 16 empty slots for hard disks. I
can install 2 HD controllers. what is the best way to fill the harddisks
bays and at the same time I want the best byte hit ratio? the harddisks
options are ( SAS 146GB,300GB or 450GB at 15 Krpm or the SATA 250GB,
500GB or 1TB at 7200rpm).
So assuming that budget is not a factor, and at 200 Mbps, will buying 16 x
500GB or 16 x 1TB disks have good affect on the hit ratio?

Note: squid will be installed over solaris.

Thank you, Paul