Re: [squid-users] same URL with different caching directives

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 21:45:15 +0200

tor 2009-09-03 klockan 13:36 +0200 skrev Developer:
> I have question about caching on squid.
> I have same URL with different caching directives private (user logged)
> and public. Each page have different ETAG.

And when is respective version served?

> I can not find anything about this in HTTP 1.1 specification.

There is.. see Vary.

> Ideally, caching program should see different pages, page to be cached
> and shared (shared version) and private cacheable version.

Yes, but when to use each?

> Is deleted old page (public shared version) of page, when squid detect
> private header in new page?

It should, assuming there is no Vary indication.

>From your reasoning I guess you are using a cookie based authentication
scheme, with server-side tracked sessions. Unfortunately you are quite
screwed from a caching perspective if you do as using the complete
Cookie header for cache selection isn't exactly nice.. Even if you make
sure to clear every stale session cookie if one is seen the cache will
still be busted by whatever other cookies you use for tracking etc...