Re: [squid-users] Squid 3 multi-homed on OpenSuSe 11.1 setup problem

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 21:47:29 +0200

tor 2009-09-03 klockan 06:57 -0700 skrev Phil_Smith:
> Hi, I have installed SQUID 3 on an OpenSuSe 11.1 server fitted with 2 NICs.
> NIC1 is connected to a Broadband router. NIC 2 is connected to an internal
> LAN.

Ok. Not a too uncommon setup.

> I followed the instructions in the squid.conf file to set the http_port to
> the internal NIC address (in this case 10.1.2.25:3128). When I try to
> access the internet from a pc on the LAN with the proxy set to 10.1.2.25,
> port 3128 nothing happens. Connection times out.

Then you probably have a local firewall on the SuSe box which blocks LAN
access to port 3128.

> I have run SQUID in debug mode and tried connecting from the Squid server
> wvia squidconsole, and connection works (connecting from 127.0.0.0).

The loopback interface is generally not firewalled as it's only internal
to the server..

> I installed wireshark on the Squid server and ran a capture on the LAN NIC
> while trying to connect. All I saw was SYN packets from the originating PC.
> No ACKs were sent from the Squid server.

Typical firewall symptoms. The SYNs reaces the NIC but is dropped by the
local firewall before seen by the TCP/IP stack.