[squid-users] Squid stops responding-LTSP and WinXP clients

From: Avinash Rao <avinash.aol_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 16:41:32 +0530

Dear all,

I am sure this question would have been posted many times. I read a
few threads, but my requirement or setup is a bit different. I am
running Squid2.6stable18 on Ubuntu Server 8.04 Server 64-bit installed
on Sun Fire X4150 Server with 8GB RAM + 8 SAS HDD's - RAID 5 + 2 Quad
Core Intel Xeon Processors.

I have both LTSP and WinXP clients using Squid. Many times i have
noticed, squid stops responding, the browser keeps trying to connect
and i don't see any error in cache.log or store.log. My only way out
is to restart squid.

I read through cache_mem, my current configuration is 100MB, i
changed it to 128MB, but squid couldn't start saying the cache_mem is
more than cache_disk size.

Why does this happen and what is the recommended configuration for the
hardware i have?

squid.conf: Please donot compare this config to my other posts, as
this is on a different server and it has a very basic configuration.

visible_hostname sunserver
hierarchy_stoplist cgi-bin ?
acl QUERY urlpath_regex cgi-bin \?
no_cache deny QUERY
hosts_file /etc/hosts
http_port 10.10.10.10:3128
refresh_pattern ^ftp: 1440 20% 10080
refresh_pattern ^gopher: 1440 0% 1440
refresh_pattern . 0 20% 4320

acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
acl manager proto cache_object
acl localhost src 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.255
acl to_localhost dst 127.0.0.0/8
acl SSL_ports port 443 563
acl Safe_ports port 80 # http
acl Safe_ports port 21 # ftp
acl Safe_ports port 443 563 # https, snews
acl Safe_ports port 70 # gopher
acl Safe_ports port 210 # wais
acl Safe_ports port 1025-65535 # unregistered ports
acl Safe_ports port 280 # http-mgmt
acl Safe_ports port 488 # gss-http
acl Safe_ports port 591 # filemaker
acl Safe_ports port 631 # cups
acl Safe_ports port 777 # multiling http
acl Safe_ports port 901 # SWAT
acl Safe_ports port 993 # IMAP
acl Safe_ports port 587 # SMTP
acl Safe_ports port 22 # SSH
acl purge method PURGE
acl special_urls url_regex "/etc/squid/squid-noblock.acl"
acl extndeny url_regex -i "/etc/squid/blocks.files.acl"
acl malware_block_list url_regex -i "/etc/squid/malware_block_list.txt"
acl badurl url_regex -i teen orkut youtube sex mp3 mp4
acl lan src 10.10.10.0/24
acl stud ident_regex babu
acl download method GET
acl CONNECT method CONNECT