Re: [squid-users] Squid stops responding-LTSP and WinXP clients

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 00:15:00 +1200

Avinash Rao wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am sure this question would have been posted many times. I read a
> few threads, but my requirement or setup is a bit different. I am
> running Squid2.6stable18 on Ubuntu Server 8.04 Server 64-bit installed
> on Sun Fire X4150 Server with 8GB RAM + 8 SAS HDD's - RAID 5 + 2 Quad
> Core Intel Xeon Processors.
>
> I have both LTSP and WinXP clients using Squid. Many times i have
> noticed, squid stops responding, the browser keeps trying to connect
> and i don't see any error in cache.log or store.log. My only way out
> is to restart squid.

Usually means Squid is doing something with its on-disk storage.

> I read through cache_mem, my current configuration is 100MB, i
> changed it to 128MB, but squid couldn't start saying the cache_mem is
> more than cache_disk size.
>
> Why does this happen and what is the recommended configuration for the
> hardware i have?

You are missing a cache_dir option. Which means Squid-2 will be using
the default and very inefficient 100 MB ufs formatted storage.

Squid-3.1 and later are the only releases of Squid where cache_dir can
be fully removed from the config.

Either define a cache_dir to use the disks or setup the "null" cache_dir
type for memory-only storage.

> squid.conf: Please donot compare this config to my other posts, as
> this is on a different server and it has a very basic configuration.
>
> visible_hostname sunserver
> hierarchy_stoplist cgi-bin ?
> acl QUERY urlpath_regex cgi-bin \?
> no_cache deny QUERY