Re: [squid-users] port 21 to squid

From: Jakob Curdes <jc_at_info-systems.de>
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 19:06:04 +0200

Al - Image Hosting Services schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I have routing set up to push everything from port 21 to the squid
> proxy port. This doesn't seem to work even with IE using ftp on
> Windows. However on linux FireFox works fine when I configure it to
> use the proxy with ftp connections. It also seems to work fine with
> wget, although using gFTP seems to have some issues. I was hoping to
> use squid to block some ftp sites. Is there any way to do this?
Only if you block port 21 and tell the browsers to use squid as FTP
proxy. squid does FTP proxing via HTTP, it is not a true FTP proxy (but
such proxies exist!).
Most current FTP client can operate via a HTTP proxy in the download
direction; uploads are a different issue. This should be ok for the
occasional driver download; if you use FTP seriously you should look for
a dedicated FTP proxy program.

HTH,
Jakob Curdes