Re: [squid-users] squid (without transparent mode) + Gateway + Authentication on same machine, is it possible ?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 01:21:08 +0200

mån 2009-09-14 klockan 16:07 +0200 skrev Matus UHLAR - fantomas:

> btw, why it isn't possible to use authentication on the same port as
> "transparent" proxy? Couldn't squid detect if to use authentication just
> from finding out if the connection was redirected or not?

The last part is unfortunately non-trivial on some OS:es where
getsockname returns the original destination with no indication that the
request was intercepted. So we assume that all requests arriving on an
intercept flagged port is intercepted.

Why do you need both on the same port? You can have as many plenty of
different http_port settings in the same Squid which means that there is
absolutely no need of using the same port both for interception and
proxy configuration. Just set up another "random" http_port and change
your interception rules to direct intercepted traffic there..