Re: [squid-users] squid NTLM setup question

From: Andre Albsmeier <Andre.Albsmeier_at_siemens.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 14:02:29 +0200

On Thu, 10-Sep-2009 at 14:55:23 -0400, Navjeet wrote:
> We have been using squid in our development environment. Squid has
> been forwarding all the internet bound traffic to a proxy server that
> did not need any authentication until now. But that has changed now
> and now we have use another proxy server that uses NTLM based
> authentication. Now our servers in this development environment only
> have local users (users logging in are not authenticated Windows AD).
> Does the Squid NTLM authentication setup still work in this setup? Can
> the NTLM setup be configured to use specified user (and password
> hopefully encrypted ) that can be specified in some configuration
> file. This is needed as many of our applications (Tomcat, ESB etc )
> are headless (i mean not just a web browser) and they now need to go
> thru this new proxy server.

If you want something like this:

        no auth NTLM auth
clients -------> squid ---------> NTLM based proxy ---> world

I think this is not possible with squid. I worked around this
same problem with cntlm using:

        no auth no auth NTLM auth
clients -------> squid -------> cntlm ---------> NTLM based proxy ---> world

cntlm runs on the same machine as squid does. However, I were
happy if the cntlm functionality could be brought into
squid one day...

        -Andre

--
Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows.