Re: [squid-users] weird traffic

From: Matthew Morgan <atcs.matthew_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 10:17:31 -0400

Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:58:16 -0400, Matthew Morgan <atcs.matthew_at_gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Leonardo Carneiro wrote:
>>
>>> you could bind squid to only listen the LAN interface. doind this, no
>>> one will be able to estabilish a external connection with squid.
>>>
>> I'll try that, but I thought my firewall rules were taking care of
>> that. They may not be though...I'm just recently learning iptables.
>> I'll post back with the results.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> IIRC llnw.net are one of the providers for a lot of video content. If your
> Squid is configured to download a complete file on range requests and one
> of your users started downloading a video then stopped Squid would show
> this behavior.

Ah! This may be it. My squid IS set to download an entire file on
range request so that windows updates will cache properly. We're
actually a computer shop, so there is no telling what type of downloads
the virus infested customer machines may initiate and drop as we work on
them.

Thanks for the tip!

As for Leonardo Carneiro's advice about only binding to the local port:
it may just be my imagination, but it seems like that has cut down on
the length of time these strange connections last. As I said, I'm not
really a networking expert, so I don't even know if that makes sense.
Either way, it was a security measure I should have taken in the first
place.