Re: [squid-users] Squid and PDF

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 12:39:27 +1300

On Mon, 5 Oct 2009 10:23:20 -0700, Randall Fidler <rfidler78_at_gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have squid up and running and the one issue which is causing
> headaches is the viewing of PDF files. From sites which are in my
> 'approved' list, if I click on a PDF link, my browser (Firefox) will
> just hang and I eventually have to kill it. If I do the same action
> without going through squid (same machine, same browser, same site,
> etc.) then the Acrobat plugin fires up and I can view the pdf without
> issue - so to me it's a squid related problem.
>
> Is there some port which I need to allow? If so I would think that
> Squid would give me a 'denied' error, not just cause the browser to
> hang up.
>
> Ideas?

Adobe are known to send HTTP range requests out of order.
Squid does not handle these but sends the request back to the origin server
instead. With range_offset set to fetch the whole file you might experience
hangs on large PDF files needing to be re-downloaded multiple times in
order to fetch the various range sets Adobe requests.

Amos