Re: [squid-users] Https traffic

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 23:38:27 +0200

mån 2009-10-05 klockan 11:34 +0200 skrev Ivan.Galli_at_aciglobal.it:
> Hi,
> my company are going to buy Websense web security suite.
> It seems to be able to decrypt and check contents in ssl tunnel.
> Is it really important to do this to prevent malicius code or dangerous
> threat?

Any product doing this will require full administrative control over the
clients as already explained in this thread, This is required to "crack"
the SSL security layer wide open to the proxy.

Why one wants to do this varies a lot, But most reasons that comes to
mind here is not about filtering or malicious code... more in the area
of being able to inspect what leaves the company, reliable audit trails
of who did what etc...

Anyway, keep in mind that cracking SSL like this is not without effects,
for example many serious online banking solutions will fail miserably if
subjected to this simply because the connection can no longer provide
the required SSL end-to-end security features.