Re: [squid-users] Yahoo doesn't load properly through squid

From: Avinash Rao <avinash.aol_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 12:25:01 +0530

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 4:27 PM, Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz> wrote:
> Avinash Rao wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> you had asked for blocks.files.acl
>>
>> \.[Aa][Vv][Ii]$
>> \.[Mm][Pp]3$
>> \.[Mm][Pp][Ee][Gg]$
>> \.[Mm][Pp][Gg]$
>> \.[Ss][Cc][Rr]$
>> \.[Oo][Rr][Kk][Uu][Tt]$
>> \.[Ee][Xx][Ee]$
>
> You can simplify the above by setting squid.conf:
>  acl blah urlpath_regex -i "blocks.file.acl"
>
> which makes it ignore upper/lower case when matching.
>
> and simply listing:
>  .avi$
>  .mp3$
> etc...
>

> Also, the above is _almost_ identical you your squid.conf defined ACL "abc".
> But the above will fail to catch any even slightly obfuscated file
> extensions.
>

>> more squid-noblock.acl
>>
>> ^http\:\/\/(.+@)?www\.gmail\.com\/
>> ^http\:\/\/(.+@)?www\.rediff\.com\/
>> ^http\:\/\/(.+@)?www\.yahoo\.com\/
>> ^http\:\/\/(.+@)?www\.sscms\.org\/
>
> The above are all MUCH better matched with dstdomain type:
>  acl blah dstdomain "squid-noblock.acl"
>
> listing:
>  www.gmail.com
>  www.rediff.com
> etc...
>

> Your problem was that it would not allow yahoo stuff right? well
> www.yahoo.com is not the only domain name they own and use. Most of the
> content is not in the www.* domain.
>
> Others have pointed out that the yahoo media content (including front page
> images!) are hosted at *.yimg.com, and large portions of the readable
> content is at *.yahoo.*.*  with the final stars being some country codes.
>
> Same goes for all of those domains I reckon. For example groups.gmail.com
> and images.gmail.com, *.google.com and mailbox.gmail.com are all used at
> various points by gmail. Various companies using gmail for internal mail
> also have their own sub-domain.gmail.com used for staff access.
>
> Amos
> --
> Please be using
>  Current Stable Squid 2.7.STABLE7 or 3.0.STABLE19
>  Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.14

Thank you for the detailed explanation. You are right yahoo uses
.yimg.com a lot as i noticed that URL in the browsers status bar when
i accessed yahoo sites.

I removed the .yimg.com from the dstdomain entry and yahoo.com worked.
But, the animated images are not loading, its just blank.

Warm Regards,
Avinash