[squid-users] Dynamic Whitelist?

From: brian k chastain <chastaib_at_genco.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 09:14:04 -0500

Everyone,

First, thanks for all of the help I've gotten from reading everyone's
emails!

I've got Squid configured and running. I've also set up a whitelist to
limit users to a set list of web sites. The whitelist access is working
fine as well.

However, instead of having everyone email me any time they'd like a new
site added to the whitelist, I'd like to give them the opportunity to add
the site themselves.

I've done some... a great deal of googling, and have located one product
that seems as if it might do the trick. It's called Whitetrash. You can
find it here: http://whitetrash.sourceforge.net.

However, as I'm running my Intranet on a Mac, and Whitetrash doesn't lend
itself to running easily on a Mac for a variety of reasons, I'm looking
for alternate solutions.

I can certainly write my own web-based interface; something simple that
would allow a user to enter a web site, then append that web site to the
end of the whitelist file, then do a "squid -k reconfigure" to implement
the new whitelist.

However, I'm much too lazy to write something from scratch if I don't have
to.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much,
Brian