[squid-users] Managing timeouts

From: Matthew Young <myoung24866_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 22:43:53 -0500

Hello all

I have a group of proxy users who are not technical at all, and it is
very common for them to complain that the "network is slow" because
there job consists of browsing sites all day and sometimes they are
just lucky that they hit remote servers which are non response, or
initiate the connection but never feed data thus they see their
firefox as loading and loading and they next thing we know they also
think there "computer is slow". They cannot tell the difference
between a local network issue and a remote server issue.

Id like to drop down the possibilities of this and set a timeout of 30
seconds, my goal is if the remote site is non responsive (waiting for
data) id like to timeout the connection in 30 seconds tops, if
possible display the timeout message.

My question is, what are they related time outs within the config that
are safe to modify? I modified the read_timeout (default 15min, yes
some users actually stare 15 min on the screen) to 1 minute but for
some reason it didnt take place.

Also, does the cache manager offfer a way to list the slowest queries
for inspection?

Thank you.

-- Matt