Re: [squid-users] Kerberos authentication & pre-caching in Squid for Windows

From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh_at_gcd.ie>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 21:05:55 +0000

On Sat, 08 Aug 2009, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> In a school situation you will also find the collapsed_forwarding
> features of Squid very useful. It can reduce/collapse a full classroom
> worth of duplicate requests for the same lesson website, down to a set
> of single requests to fetch the page once.

I don't mean to be smart here but the feature page says:

  http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/CollapsedForwarding

 "To remedy this situation this patch adds a new tuning knob to squid.conf,
  making Squid delay further requests while a cache revalidation or cache
  miss is being resolved. This sacrifices general proxy latency in favor for
  accelerator performance and thus should not be enabled unless you are
  running an accelerator."

So is collapsed forwarding generally a bad idea for a forward proxy?

Gavin