Re: [squid-users] Kerberos authentication & pre-caching in Squid for Windows

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 11:01:04 +1300

On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 21:05:55 +0000, Gavin McCullagh
<gavin.mccullagh_at_gcd.ie> wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Aug 2009, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>
>> In a school situation you will also find the collapsed_forwarding
>> features of Squid very useful. It can reduce/collapse a full classroom

>> worth of duplicate requests for the same lesson website, down to a set

>> of single requests to fetch the page once.
>
> I don't mean to be smart here but the feature page says:
>
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/CollapsedForwarding
>
> "To remedy this situation this patch adds a new tuning knob to
squid.conf,
> making Squid delay further requests while a cache revalidation or
cache
> miss is being resolved. This sacrifices general proxy latency in favor
> for
> accelerator performance and thus should not be enabled unless you are
> running an accelerator."
>
> So is collapsed forwarding generally a bad idea for a forward proxy?

"Generally" its has fewer benefits under forward than reverse proxies.

It shines under reverse-proxy where the same vcontent is hit frequently
and from many sources.
With forward-proxy its hit much less but can still improve speed for
popular websites (if cachable) and smooth out traffic volume bumps for
automatic updates of software.

In your case a classroom worth of students+teacher potentially hitting the
same websites at the same time for a class project.

Amos