Re: [squid-users] 1024 file descriptors is good

From: George Herbert <george.herbert_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 19:04:20 -0800

On the other hand - used as outbound caching proxies, for typical ISP
users, 1024 may be too small. Former client of mine had it turned to
--with-maxfd=8192

Also note - when compiling on RHEL 5.x (and some other systems) you
need to have ulimit -n *of the configure and build environment* set to
at least the --with-maxfd value as well.

We used a wrapper on the configure which essentially did this:

--
export 'CFLAGS=-g -O -march=opteron -DNUMTHREADS=120
-DBUILDID=SQUID3.x-CUSTOMER-DATE'

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert_at_gmail.com