Re: [squid-users] Time-based oddity that I can't quite nail down...

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 14:08:38 +1300

On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 16:55:22 -0800, Kurt Buff <kurt.buff_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> During the normal work out at my company, the squid proxy is
> reasonably responsive, and seems to work well.
>
> However, after roughly 5pm each day, through the night and all during
> the weekend, web browsing is very slow, with pages taking a very long
> time (30+ seconds, to sometimes minutes) to load.
>
> Does anyone have some suggestions on where I might start looking at
> this problem? I haven't found anything in the logs that I can detect
> as relevant. Stopping and starting squid makes no difference.

What version of Squid is this?

Stuff I can think of right now are:
  IIRC there were some oddities possible when Squid had zero or very few
traffic events happening (older Squid rely on an IO event to trigger any
other processing).

 I've also seen some mistakes with time ACL openign the proxy to full
general use outside work hours. The lack of Squid CPU load in your snapshot
makes this unlikely but might be worth checking anyway just in case.

 Could also be upstream network load. If this is hanging off a popular ISP
with a lot of high-bandwidth users the whole network can slow down as
people at home ramp up their use. Though I would expect to see some
intermittent problems from end of school hours (~4pm?) in that case.

Amos