Re: [squid-users] Time-based oddity that I can't quite nail down...

From: Kurt Buff <kurt.buff_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 19:23:21 -0800

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 17:08, Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz> wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Nov 2009 16:55:22 -0800, Kurt Buff <kurt.buff_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> During the normal work out at my company, the squid proxy is
>> reasonably responsive, and seems to work well.
>>
>> However, after roughly 5pm each day, through the night and all during
>> the weekend, web browsing is very slow, with pages taking a very long
>> time (30+ seconds, to sometimes minutes) to load.
>>
>> Does anyone have some suggestions on where I might start looking at
>> this problem? I haven't found anything in the logs that I can detect
>> as relevant. Stopping and starting squid makes no difference.
>
> What version of Squid is this?
>
> Stuff I can think of right now are:
>  IIRC there were some oddities possible when Squid had zero or very few
> traffic events happening (older Squid rely on an IO event to trigger any
> other processing).
>
>  I've also seen some mistakes with time ACL openign the proxy to full
> general use outside work hours. The lack of Squid CPU load in your snapshot
> makes this unlikely but might be worth checking anyway just in case.
>
>  Could also be upstream network load. If this is hanging off a popular ISP
> with a lot of high-bandwidth users the whole network can slow down as
> people at home ramp up their use. Though I would expect to see some
> intermittent problems from end of school hours (~4pm?) in that case.
>
> Amos

Sorry, didn't get this to the list the first time:

It's squid-3.0.19 running on top of FreeBSD 7.0-Stable #0

We have a DS3, with a soft cap of 5mbit (if we use more than the soft
cap over the course of a month, we pay extra, but there are no hard
limits on it - I've seen bursts up to 30mbit/s over short periods),
through a business ISP (NTT), so I don't suspect an ISP network load
issue.

I have no ACLs that are time-dependent.

This is just baffling to me.

Thanks for looking at it, and if you have any more thoughts, I'd love
to hear them.

Kurt