Re: [squid-users] filtering based on google search

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 19:18:48 +1300

michael hiatt wrote:
> Hi,
> Just wondering if there is a way of getting squid to block or allow based on google search results.

That sentence makes no sense to me whatsoever. Can you explain it a bit?
What are you intending to get out of it?

> I have tried setting two
> url_regex -i "file/path/goes/here"
>
> one for allowed and one for blocked.
>
> if
> I set http://www.google.com to be allowed then unwanted words can be
> searched and their results displayed. Clicking on said results displays
> error/blocked page.
>
> If I remove http://www.google.com then I can't search on some words that I want.
>
> Example:
> I would like to search on "pirates of penzance" but cannot because "pirate" is a keyword in my block list.
>
> Is
> there a better way around this? I don't want to (and can't) install
> other software like squid-guard and dans guardian. I'm hoping to do
> this in squid alone.

You describe a perfectly working URL keyword filter.

  - whitelisting "google.com" ... allows *ALL* of google.com.
  - blacklisting *pirate* ... blocks *ALL* mentions of "pirate" in URL
(including google lookup URLs, result URLs, etc)

Your choices are:
   * accept the price of keyword filtering URLs.
   * stop using the filter.
   * complicate your config further with a set of
whitelisted-blacklisted keywords based on other things (like your
google.com example).

see FAQ on managing ACLs...
   http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/SquidAcl

Amos