Re: [squid-users] FW: Can not force IE 7 to use HTTP 1.1 through Squid

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 11:03:58 +1300

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 07:03:34 -0500, "Sheahan, John"
<John.Sheahan_at_priceline.com> wrote:
> While troubleshooting an internet problem using a sniffer, I noticed
that
> when end users use our Squid proxy server, the client always uses HTTP
1.0
> only and never HTTP 1.1.
> I double checked and the advanced settings in my browser (IE 7) are set
> force HTTP 1.1 whenever possible and when using a proxy but this isn't
> happening.
>
> When I remove the proxy from the equation and go straight out to the
> internet, the clients always use HTTP 1.1.
>
> Is this a limitation with Squid?

Yes. Squid is HTTP/1.0 software with various upgrades to handle 1.1,
though not quite enough to be allowed to advertise it safely.

Squid-2.7 was given some config options which can turn on advertising of
HTTP/1.1 to servers and test for problems. However this has known issues
whenever the client and Server attempt to use REQUIRED HTTP/1.1 features
which Squid cannot handle (requests with Expect: headers being the biggest
common one).

We have done more towards HTTP/1.1 support for Squid-3.1, but have not
made the options to advertise it available. Hopefully someone will have
time to add the missing feature support one day.

There is a downloadable checklist spreadsheet of HTTTP/1.1 features at
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/HTTP11 if you want to compare Squid
capabilities with your needs.

Amos