Re: [squid-users] Squid swap.state management

From: Seann Clark <nombrandue_at_tsukinokage.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 22:55:43 -0600

Amos Jeffries wrote:
> Seann Clark wrote:
>> All,
>>

>> I have been working over the past few days to manage a rather
>> large swap file, that isn't reducing when I attempt to rotate the
>> file. I am sure that I can prune this file's total size down but I am
>> not sure the best way to tackle this. It doesn't help that usually
>> the store.log file grows the same way, the swap.state file is at 31G,
>> and the store log until I removed it, was at 30G's, and killed the
>> disk space on my
>
> Both of these files are more accurately called journals than logs.
> They are incremental and continuously growing between reset points
> (rotate, reconf, shutdown).
>
> store.log is not usually needed.
> Unless you have one of the rare tools that need to process it. You can
> safely turn it off with "cache_store_log none" in squid.conf.
>
> swap.state is a little tricky. It should have been replaced with the
> current index contents on rotate.
>
> Squid-2.6 and later you can safely erase the swap.state and Squid will
> rebuild it clean from the in-memory index on next shutdown,
> reconfigure, or rotate.
>
>> system. This has been a problem I am searched on google for and
>> haven't found anything that matches what I am looking for, most of
>> the resource either deal with expanding the system drives out, or
>> making the disks faster which doesn't help my situation. I am not
>> sure what to provide in terms of information from my configurations
>> that would help but will provide what is required.
>>
>> As a side note, the process is occasionally coring as well.
>>

> Not a good sign. What version and release of Squid is this?
>
> Amos
Squid Cache: Version 2.6.STABLE22

I didn't know the none flag worked, guess I was trying the more complex
things with the store log file. I had deleted the swap.state file and it
took forever to rebuild (over night processing, though not bad) but
nothing else bad happened, but I had picked up that it was bad to delete
the file. The version of squid is a little lagging because I need to
upgrade the entire system and haven't had a chance yet, but I also don't
want to port a bad config over to the new build.

Seann