Re: [squid-users] Squid swap.state management

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 17:49:00 +1300

Seann Clark wrote:
> All,
>

> I have been working over the past few days to manage a rather large
> swap file, that isn't reducing when I attempt to rotate the file. I am
> sure that I can prune this file's total size down but I am not sure the
> best way to tackle this. It doesn't help that usually the store.log file
> grows the same way, the swap.state file is at 31G, and the store log
> until I removed it, was at 30G's, and killed the disk space on my

Both of these files are more accurately called journals than logs. They
are incremental and continuously growing between reset points (rotate,
reconf, shutdown).

store.log is not usually needed.
Unless you have one of the rare tools that need to process it. You can
safely turn it off with "cache_store_log none" in squid.conf.

swap.state is a little tricky. It should have been replaced with the
current index contents on rotate.

Squid-2.6 and later you can safely erase the swap.state and Squid will
rebuild it clean from the in-memory index on next shutdown, reconfigure,
or rotate.

> system. This has been a problem I am searched on google for and haven't
> found anything that matches what I am looking for, most of the resource
> either deal with expanding the system drives out, or making the disks
> faster which doesn't help my situation. I am not sure what to provide in
> terms of information from my configurations that would help but will
> provide what is required.
>
> As a side note, the process is occasionally coring as well.

Not a good sign. What version and release of Squid is this?

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.14