[squid-users] trouble configuring a proxy.

From: matt jones <jamesjamiejones_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 13:19:12 -0000

Hi

Have installed Ubuntu 9.10 inside a sun Virtual Box on my machine and
connected it up to the network fine, but when I configure squid.conf I run
into issues. Using Squid 1.7 stable6 (Ubuntu packaged).

I change the following;
http_port 8080
visible_hostname squid.brighton.internal
acl localnet src 10.218.164.0/22
http_access allow localnet
cache_peer proxy1.equinoxsolutions.com parent 80 0 no-query no-digest

the rest I leave as defaults.

The issue I have is that when I connect through the upstream proxy I get the
internet and a good speed, though squid is really bad. 2-3 mins to load up
the bbc homepage/news page.

Is there anything I need to do to do this correctly and how can i improve
the speed of the setup (without going to a hardware box as I'm still testing
atm).