[squid-users] Squid youtube etc caching (was [Fwd: Re: [squid-users] Mailing-list admins: can we set up reply-to?])

From: Robert Collins <robertc_at_squid-cache.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 21:10:47 +1100

attached mail follows:

Hi Robert. Sorry for disturbing you. Actually i am trying to send a query
to squid-users_at_squid-cache.org since yesterday but each time it return with
a "Failure Notice". Can you help if you find some free time?

I got your email ID from the recent conversation you had on the same mailing
list. So Sorry for that.

Following is the query by the way if you want to answer it :)

*Question:*
Does Squid offer content caching?
*
Explanation:*
I want to know if Squid has the ability to cache objects like YouTube
videos, or documents (.pdf, .doc, .ppt etc) so that once a user sees a
YouTube video or download some document, it may be cached. Now, if some
other user tries to access that video or document, then it may be downloaded
or served to him/her from the server where it was cached instead of asking
the original server again for the same video or document.

I have studied a little about Squid which showed me that may be Squid only
offers caching of Web pages and not the other content. Examples of the
content I want to be cached has been described earlier.

Thanks
Usman Ajmal
Research Assistant
HPC Lab, SEECS (NUST) Pakistan