Re: [squid-users] Mailing-list admins: can we set up reply-to?

From: Brian Mearns <mearns.b_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 09:34:55 -0500

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 11:09 PM, Tim Bates <tin_at_new-life.org.au> wrote:

> On 20/11/2009, "Henrik Nordstrom" <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net> wrote:
>
>>The list server do set internet standard list headers, so if you have a
>>mail client which knows about mailing lists then you get a "Reply to
>>list" alternative.
>

> Which still requires people to mash the right button. People used to just
> clicking "Reply" or even using keyboard shortcuts will still send to
> the wrong address.

The argument being put forth in opposition to my suggestion is that
this mistake is less harmful than the counter example, where somebody
intends to send a private message but just hits reply (if the reply-to
were "munged" as I suggested) and it gets sent to the whole list. It's
my opinion that this is a rare exception and people who want to send a
private message will be cautious enough to ensure that they do not
accidentally send it to the whole list. Clearly, there has been
significant debate over this.

> I'm all for reply-to personally (I hate having to change the send list
> back to the mailing list), but it's not my list which is why I've not
> said anything yet (unless I did and forgot).
>
> TB

Key Id: 0x3AA70848
Available from: http://keys.gnupg.net