Re: [squid-users] peerap like

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 12:06:06 +1300

Rakotomandimby Mihamina wrote:
> Hello,
> I work in an ISP and we use PeerAp for caching some repetitive contents:
> - videos (via HTTP or p2p)
> - windows and antivirus updates
>
> It works quite right... but it's not fully open source.
> It's Linux based (SSH, BASH, iptables,...) but the interesting part
> is closed :-)

Not interesting at all. Just means they did not use prior copyright
open-source code in writing it and chose not to open up. There is a lot
of commercial code like that.
If you think they did then report it to the suspected original codes
authors or the FSF for sorting out.

> Globallly, its based on the hash of the N-th firt bytes of a ressource.
>
> If you have an idea of what it is, would you know an equivalent, but
> open source?

The windows updates, AV updates, and videos over HTTP are all done by
any HTTP proxy out there. Squid is one. Though a little tuning is
required to store them.

Squid does not (yet) do caching of P2P protocol, media streaming, or SIP
VoIP streams. Even if its tunneled over port 80 and can be fetched
through Squid.

Amos

--
Please be using