Re: [squid-users] Handling slow HTTP client

From: Brian Mearns <mearns.b_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 11:18:07 -0500

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Ryan Chan <ryanchan404_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 11:29 PM, Kinkie <gkinkie_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Then, what parameters / settings are suggested? Seems difficult to
>>> find a suitable one.
>>
>> Should work out of the box. But then it depends what you mean by "Slow Client"
>>

> That's why I ask if any parameters are related, so I can fine tune it.
>

> Thanks!

I think he's basically referring to a reverse proxy situation, which
is pretty well documented. Clients connect to your proxy instead of
directly to your web server, and the proxy either fetches the resource
from the origin server, or serves it up from its cache. I'm not really
sure how much effect this is actually going to have on your
performance, though. It's not going to speed up slow clients that
much, assuming slow means they have low download speeds. It will
reduce the number of processes your origin server has to create the
handle the requests, but that burden will basically just transfer to
squid, so I'm not sure how much boost you'll really get. Of course, it
all depends on having your content served up with the correct
cacheability headers.

I'm sure someone else here can provide more insight and details, but I
think that's the basic concept you're after.

-Brian

Key Id: 0x3AA70848
Available from: http://keys.gnupg.net