[squid-users] Interaction of Squid and Browser Cache

From: Norbert Hoeller <nhoeller_at_sinet.ca>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 10:22:55 -0500

I implemented squid 3.0 on a home system largely to help reduce Internet traffic (I am forced to use a 3G/cell-based connection that has high excess bandwidth charges). I used the default configuration - the only major changes were defining a 4GB cache and adding ACLs to block ad sites.

Squid appears to be running well (no complaints from users). I am surprised at the high "Hits as % of bytes sent" - I often see 60 minute values in the 10-20% range and I have seen higher values. I would have expected relatively little overlap between destinations visited by the users, most users are only using one browser (IE8 or Firefox 3) and they rarely clear their browser cache. I definitely see the same user requesting the same object (a JPG) and having squid deliver it from cache.

I never argue with success, but would like to understand how squid appears to be so much better than the caching provided by the browser.
        Thanks, Norbert

PS. Great work not only on the squid code but also on the extensive documentation!