Re: [squid-users] Interaction of Squid and Browser Cache

From: Norbert Hoeller <nhoeller_at_sinet.ca>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 11:10:55 -0500

Amos, thanks for the fast response!

> Not certain. But I suspect it has something to do with small browser
> caches. The defaults I've seen on client boxes are usually in the MB
> ranges. Large enough for a few dozen flash media videos and little else.
> Your 4GB in Squid could be making up the difference.

Both IE8 and Firefox are configured for 50MB of cache.  IE8 can generate a list of files in its cache, so I can compare files that squid cached against what is in the browser cache.

> 10%->20% is a bit low. The ideal range is 40%+ for regular proxies. 10%
> is on par with ISP using non-optimal object caching or without enough
> cache storage to meet their users traffic load.

The cache hit percentage varies greatly. I have seen higher numbers periodically.  My expectations were low, given the low number of users, relatively small user overlap in terms of browsing pattern, browser caching and and the increased predominance of dynamic sites.  I just installed sarg so that I will be able to get a better handle on qhat squid is doing.
   Thanks, Norbert