Re: [squid-users] Causes for RELEASE Action in store.log

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 11:50:09 +1300

Norbert Hoeller wrote:
> In digging through my squid 3.0 access.log, I noticed a TCP_MISS for the same file fetched twice in a relatively short period of time. The store.log shows that the file was RELEASEd.
>
> 1259160356.949 RELEASE -1 FFFFFFFF 176C2C1221D157A9EC778A2D08E70AFF 200 1259160364 -1 -1 text/html 2459/2459 GET http://www.christmasbylamplight.ca/dinner.shtml
> 1259187048.580 RELEASE -1 FFFFFFFF 3AC3E411E709766544F6C09F581C827C 200 1259187052 -1 -1 text/html 2459/2459 GET http://www.christmasbylamplight.ca/dinner.shtml
>
> Is it because the file has an '.shtml' extension and squid assumes it was a dynamic file? I did not see any unusual meta tags on the page that should influence squid caching.
> Thanks, Norbert

No. Squid makes no such assumptions.

Your squid.conf default settings might have "acl QUERY url_regex cgi-bin
\?", "cache deny QUERY", or the nicer "refresh_pattern -i (/cgi-bin/|\?)
0 0% 0" to tell squid explicitly what requests to consider dynamic. But
the defaults are not involving .shtml

The website itself is being nasty and telling Squid that those whole
pages change between browsers. "Vary: User-Agent" which can make Squid
drop objects when a different browser from the one which caused storage
earlier requests it.
NP2: Internet Explorer is particularly bad with this since each PC users
installed Ad-Ons, their versions, the patches applied to IE in that box
and that users account, and the exact build time of the IE binary are
all stored in the User-Agent text.

Another suspect is your config using a refresh_pattern doing something
bad with regex patterns for script ".sh" files or similar.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.15