Re: [squid-users] Problem with squid corrupting page layout

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 00:19:17 +1300

Marisa Giancarla wrote:
> I am trying to set up squid-3 for my caching proxy and I am having
> trouble with the pages returned missing their graphics and other layout
> elements being rendered in odd ways. Everything else seems to be running
> fine, but this reformatting of web pages is a fly in the ointment to
> this project. Can someone give me some suggestions on where to go to fix
> this problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Marisa

Squid does not change page content. Unless you have hacked up the code a
lot or added third-party tools into the software chain explicitly to do
content changing.

Every browser re-formats the pages based on the information it can retrieve.

I'd look at:
  1) what the browser is fetching and what its not fetching
    a) whether any of the fetched page pieces are failing?
    b) how are they failing?
  2) the cacheability of all the objects
    a) are things being cached by Squid?
    b) if not why not?
  3) the website generating any non-cacheable objects.
    a) is it doing so fast enough for the browser?
    b) is it generating the right content (ie for range requests IMS
requests)?

A lot of these questions are answered for public sites by using the
publis redbot.org and ircache.net cacheability engines on a troubled
site URL.

If you still think it's Squids' fault post your squid.conf minus any
comment lines and white space and we can check for possible problems points.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.15