[squid-users] anyone know off hand where squid helps browsing on debian?

From: Mike Marchywka <marchywka_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 16:29:12 -0500

Anyone know off hand how much squid can contribute to browsing speed on
various platforms due to DNS caching? I just setup a debian system and
notice while browsing I had very low BW at times. I suspected it
may have been doing lots of DNS lookups since there
were
lots of long delays ( I guess I could have looked at packet traffic but
was too lazy). Anyway, apt-get install on squid and setup iceweasel to
use it seems to have done the trick. BW monitor shows I'm getting more
throughput and browser responds a lot better. Anyone know off hand what
DNS or other caching is on debian by default and where an
out-of-the-box squid install is likely to fix anything?

Thanks.

Note: hotmail is now unusable for TEXT, I am moving to marchywka_at_gmail.com or also use
marchywka_at_yahoo.com. Thanks. NEVER USE HOTMAIL, EVER

Mike Marchywka
586 Saint James Walk
Marietta GA 30067-7165
415-264-8477 (w)<- use this
404-788-1216 (C)<- leave message
989-348-4796 (P)<- emergency only
marchywka_at_hotmail.com
Note: If I am asking for free stuff, I normally use for hobby/non-profit
information but may use in investment forums, public and private.
Please indicate any concerns if applicable.

Get gifts for them and cashback for you. Try Bing now.
http://www.bing.com/shopping/search?q=xbox+games&scope=cashback&form=MSHYCB&publ=WLHMTAG&crea=TEXT_MSHYCB_Shopping_Giftsforthem_cashback_1x1