Re: [squid-users] anyone know off hand where squid helps browsing on debian?

From: Paul Duncan <pad1b06_at_soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 22:10:27 +0000

Hi Mike,

Mike Marchywka wrote:
> Anyone know off hand how much squid can contribute to browsing speed on
> various platforms due to DNS caching? I just setup a debian system and
> notice while browsing I had very low BW at times. I suspected it
> may have been doing lots of DNS lookups since there
> were
> lots of long delays ( I guess I could have looked at packet traffic but
> was too lazy). Anyway, apt-get install on squid and setup iceweasel to
> use it seems to have done the trick. BW monitor shows I'm getting more
> throughput and browser responds a lot better. Anyone know off hand what
> DNS or other caching is on debian by default and where an
> out-of-the-box squid install is likely to fix anything?

Well, making better use of bandwidth is why I use Squid at sea. We have
a 256Kb/s sat link. I'm also using a caching DNS server, in the form of
BIND 9. The DNS server and Squid both run on the same SPARC Solaris 10
box. We have similar systems running on two ships. I think we have Squid
2.5 running on the other ship, and a newly built 2.7STABLE7 on this one.
It has to be a win-win for us, because:

a) people get slightly faster web page loading because static images are
loaded from a computer on a LAN link.

and

b) there's more bandwidth to go around because of not dragging
unncecessary stuff across the link.

It may be just me, but I think that certain things like Facebook seem to
be noticeably better with the Squid running.

Doesn't really answer your question. But its certainly making a positive
impact out here :-)

Best Regards,

Paul
~~~~