Re: [squid-users] "Quadruple" memory usage with squid

From: Linda Messerschmidt <linda.messerschmidt_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 08:43:23 -0500

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 9:47 PM, Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz> wrote:
> Do you mean the SM_PAGE_SIZE which is 4096 in all Squid and used for the
> mem_node::data field?

Yes, that's the one.

> If you are not so worried about wasted memory but very worried about bad
> effects you can safely increase it to the make mem_node align with the 8192
> boundary the FreeBSD malloc is going to allocate.

That might be worth considering. So far we have not had any ill
effects with the testing we have done of the smaller size though,
which is really great. Thus I would need to do some checking to see
how many <4k objects we have to see if we would be better off with a
larger size. I suspect it's a lot.

It would of course be marvelous if squid maintained pools of 1k, 4k,
16k, and 64k mem_nodes to both maximize memory efficiency and minimize
the number of nodes any individual object requires. Sort of like
squid's own internal superpages. :) But that would probably be a ton
of extra work for a very limited benefit. :)

Thanks again!