[squid-users] AVG Updates not being cached with squid 2.6?

From: Richard Chapman <rchapman_at_aardvark.com.au>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 11:45:43 +0800

I have a more or less default configured squid 2.6 proxy on a centos 5.4
server.
I have configured AVG 9 network edition (Virus scanner) to use the squid
proxy (as opposed to the avg proxy) - and it appears to be doing so.
However - checking the usage logs - it appears that different client
machines download identical update (.bin) files within a few hours of
each other - but do not appear to get a cache hit..

Can anyone suggest why these update files are not being cached (or at
least not getting cache hits) - and whether there is anything I can do
to encourage them to be cached?

I have checked the Squid FAQ and searched the archive - and found a
similar request from 2005. The suggestion there was that the AVG server
might be using the

"Pragma: no-cache" HTTP header

And that at that time there was no suggestion on how to override this.
Can anyone confirm that this is the reason for the apparently
unnecessary cache misses - and if so - is there anything new in squid
to allow us to override?

Thanks
Richard.