RE: [squid-users] Hardware/software suggestions (TPROXY)

From: Michael Bowe <mbowe_at_pipeline.com.au>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 13:05:46 +1100

Hi Amos

> If you get 4+ core hardware, a CARP model with one instance receiving
> all requests and balancing across the other cores for actual storage
> handling with 1+ disk per core scales extremely well.

I'll go read up on CARP

I wonder whether CARP + TPROXY would play together nicely though?

> I'd be interested in hearing what req/sec you manage to achieve. We
> only
> have reported performances for up to 3.0 so far.

OK no worries, I will send through some info once we get our gear up and
running.

> > There are choices for the disk controller. Eg HP lets you choose
> between
> > 256M, 512M, 1G RAM on the supplied P410i RAID card. We wouldn't be
> running
> > any RAID, but would extra RAM on the card still be helpful with
> speeding up
> > disk access for squid?
>
> If the drives use it. Squid is not very helpful for things like that
> yet.

OK, rather than buying more RAID RAM it sounds like its probably better to
just put that money towards an additional spindle.

Michael.