RE: [squid-users] Hardware/software suggestions (TPROXY)

From: Michael Bowe <mbowe_at_pipeline.com.au>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 13:05:59 +1100

Hi Angelo

Thanks for responding

> I didn't even know ISP's still used proxies in this century :D I assume
> you use them to save on bandwidth and improve the experience for the
> end-user?

Haha yeah well for example at one regional site transit is costing us $400+
per Mbps, so caching is still worthwhile for us.

> I'm still not sure about virtualizing or not.. It both has advantages
> and disadvantages..

Yes I would really need to build up a big server and compare CARP vs VMware.
Doesn’t sound like anyone else has had much experience with this topic. The
servers I have been testing with under VMware seem to go OK, but its hard to
tell just how much overhead is incurred. Maybe running say 4 squid VMs on an
8 core server is a reasonably good way to share the load around though.

> I'm in a Dell only shop, and you can buy the R610 with any 1 or 2
> cpu's,
> it's a choice. (And probably cheaper than HP).

Nice to know. I was using their website and it didn’t have an option for 1
CPU. I guess you just speak to the sales rep and get the quote more fully
customised. Thanks for the tip!

Michael.