Re: [squid-users] any work arounds for bug 2176

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 22:10:12 +1300

Brett Lymn wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 07:57:21AM -0600, Bill Allison wrote:
>> Sorry - that was misleading. I've had
>> persistent_connection_after_error set on throughout my testing.
>
> I don't have that in my config file at all so I would guess it is at
> the default.

Which is off. Now I'm confused.

>> I get the same error as Brett only when the body of the post is much greater than that which causes the post to fail.
>>

> I only tried a large-ish document. We did observe the same strange
> limit that Bill has seen when we tested without the patch applied,
> under a certain "magic" threshold the document would upload - the
> threshold seemed to be around the 50k mark, over that threshold we
> would just get popups.
>
>> I'd like to correlate network traces with debug output and would appreciate suggestions as to which debug_options would include all possibly relevant info
>>

> I am a C coder and may have some time to do some debugging on this
> between christmas and new year so, Amos, if you have any thoughts or
> hints as to where to go looking I can certainly have a stab at it.

Thank you. Any help at all would be great.

I *think* the relevant code is off src/client_side_reply.cc, but what to
look for is where I'm currently stuck. The keep_alive values resolved
things for you Brett but not Bill.

The variable nature of the threshold looks like some timing between
actions triggering the bug vs the rate at which Squid is sucking the
request in.

AFAIK popups only occur when the client gets sent two re-auth
challenges. Which in the un-patched Squid was caused by the first
half-authenticated link being closed by Squid before auth could
complete. Then the second link being challenged for more auth would
cause popup.

I think the next step is to find out what the difference between your
two setups is exactly:
  * squid.conf
  * headers between Squid and the POSTing app.
  * headers between Squid and the web server.

Particularly in what reply headers are going back. That should give us
a little more of an idea what areas to look at.

If as you say the patch solved the issue but you saw the same thing
earlier. Then I suspects it's probably a squid.conf detail being overlooked.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.15