[squid-users] OTish: wpad configuration

From: Kurt Buff <kurt.buff_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 15:26:11 -0800

All,

I'm scouring the web, not finding much, and hope some of you here have
a clue for me. Google, with 'wpad.dat examples' and 'wpad.dat syntax'
aren't yielding much for me - though perhaps I'm missing what's in
front of my face.

I'm responsible for three offices - one in the US, one in the UK and
one in AU. I have a squid proxy in the AU and US offices.

I have set up http://wpad.example.tld as an internal web site, and
have DHCP option 252 pointing to wpad.dat on it, in the US office.

DNS is AD-integrated across all three offices.

I can set up DHCP in each office, with no issues, but that only takes
care of IE, not FF.

I am looking for a solution that will allow FF in each office to query
the web site in the US office ( because
http://wpad.example.tld/wpad.dat will be the same for every office),
and get back settings that are appropriate to the office. In the UK
office that would be no proxy, just direct - in the AU office that
would be the local proxy server, with appropriate exceptions for
intranet sites, and the US office the same as the AU office.

Does anyone have experience with this that they care to share?

Kurt