Re: [squid-users] OTish: wpad configuration

From: Blake Covarrubias <blake_at_ekalb.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 18:47:09 -0700

On Dec 30, 2009, at 4:26 PM, Kurt Buff wrote:

> I'm scouring the web, not finding much, and hope some of you here have
> a clue for me. Google, with 'wpad.dat examples' and 'wpad.dat syntax'
> aren't yielding much for me - though perhaps I'm missing what's in
> front of my face.

You probably want to look at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_auto-config
http://web.archive.org/web/20060424005037/wp.netscape.com/eng/mozilla/2.0/relnotes/demo/proxy-live.html

> I am looking for a solution that will allow FF in each office to query
> the web site in the US office ( because
> http://wpad.example.tld/wpad.dat will be the same for every office),
> and get back settings that are appropriate to the office. In the UK
> office that would be no proxy, just direct - in the AU office that
> would be the local proxy server, with appropriate exceptions for
> intranet sites, and the US office the same as the AU office.

You can dynamically generate proxy.pac from a CGI script. Look at the source IP and customize appropriately.

http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/199708/0193.html

Just setup your web server to handle .pac or .dat requests as a CGI. In lighttpd you'd use cgi.assign and Apache would use AddHandler in your <Directory> config.

http://redmine.lighttpd.net/wiki/1/Docs:ModCGI
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/howto/cgi.html

Hope this helps.

--