Re: [squid-users] Amount of Bandwidth squid can handle

From: Kinkie <gkinkie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 13:51:40 +0100

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Travel Factory S.r.l.
<mc8647tv_at_mclink.it> wrote:

>> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 11:22 AM, nima chavooshi <nima0102_at_gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Thanks for your attention
>> > I want more statistic about bandwidth and hardware you can
>> handle with squid.
>>
>> We (the developers) would like that too :)
>
> Everytime I try to think about how to benchmark squid I can't find a way that can mimick real working conditions...
> Infact I'd like to test different configurations (ram/hd) but it is almost impossible to replicate the exact conditions (disk usage, buffers, internet speed....)
>
> One of the ideas is to take the access_log of a day (after completely zapping the cache) and then have two components: a client that asks for the pages at the time present in the log, and a server that intercepts all the squid request that replies with the data (same size) and correct answers 302, 304 also from the log....

We're not really interested in benchmarks in fact, but real-world
useage data. Those are much more valuable to system administrators in
defining what they need to address a real-world situation. There are
projects underway to help with this efforts.
See for instance
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/BenchmarkCacheMgrPage and
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/PerformanceMeasure .
Any contribution in terms of ideas, requirements, wishes, and of
course code, is welcome.

--
   /kinkie