Re: [squid-users] problem building squid 3.1 from source...(right list?)

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 23:11:21 +1300

Linda Walsh wrote:
> I'm getting an error that 'AIO' isn't found (I'm specifying
> aio on the command line as I have libaio installed.

Exactly what ./configure command line?

> If I leave enable-diskio blank, I don't know what I am getting, but
> it fails on the storeio param next with "aufs" not found.

Consistent with AIO not being found. It is the disk I/O workhorse behind
the AUFS filesystem.

ufs is the older slower alternative you should still be able to use
while the AIO problem is being resolved. When AIO is working you can
switch between the two without any problem or loss of cache.

> It seems to detect that I am a linux-unknown-x86-64, and I see source
> modules under the source tree -- so why isn't it finding them?
>
> Is it that aufs isn't available on my platform? But the same doesn't
> seem true for aio -- or do I have the wrong brand or flavor
> or...why might it not be detecting my 'aio'?

Do you have the development version of the libraries installed?
"libaio-dev" or something like that.

> FWIW, I'm trying to rebuild with latest to see if I still have
> a problem with a website that suddenly went 'dark' when accessed
> with squid a few days ago. No pages come up.
> Main problem website is animepaper.net (AP for short). It's a graphics
> intensive site, so there's much benefit in having a large cache like squid.

According to redbot.org that website is breaking the HTTP protocol.

It's sending a Vary: header on gzipped content, then none at all on
plain content. This breach of protocol can result in Squid serving up
plain content marked as gzipped or the reverse. The end result is
browsers being unable to decode the object for display.

It's also sending chunked encoded replies, which might result in empty
or garbage pages if passed through early Squid-3.0 releases (prior to
STABLE16).

> If I go around squid (like through a socks proxy),
> I can see the website (though going through socks is comparatively
> painful compared to squid - I didn't realize how much squid was
> offloading from win client!) -- my ff client froze up under, what was
> for me, a relatively light load, going through socks.
> Anyway -- any ideas why I'm having problems building? If anyone
> has a clue about 'AP', that'd be appreciated too. I'm currently running
> a 3.0.10 on SuSE 11.1.

"3.0.10" being 3.0.STABLE10 ?

Amos

--