Re: [squid-users] Configure a transparent proxy to pass through non-http port 80 traffic [Was: How to handle the error: Unsupported method 'BitTorrent']

From: Richard Wall <richard_at_the-moon.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 10:25:55 +0000

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 1:10 PM, Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz> wrote:
> I would not worry about that. P2P apps which use port 80 usually have other
> methods of connecting. Particularly their own dedicated protocol ports.
> Leave those open and they work better.
>
> The apps which do not use port 80 for HTTP properly (ie doing correct HTTP
> tunneling) are in violation of web usage standards.  Your contracts should
> not allow you to be penalized for providing a properly working web proxy to
> your clients.

Thanks Amos,

Sorry for not replying sooner. I agree and I think I was wrong about
the proportion of non-http traffic. The problem lay elsewhere.

> If you must look at it, then the workaround hack of identifying packets data
> content has to be done in the iptables routing levels. This is a tricky
> problem since there is no guarantee that the needed data is in the first
> packet of a connection. Once packets enter Squid its too late to bypass.

Yeah, we're using a Foundry ServerIron L7 switch which seems to have a
facility to reconstruct the http headers and use those in routing
policies. Sounds like magic to me, but if I manage to get that
working, I'll report back.

I'm also still interested in the wccp_return_method as a way of
bypassing non-http traffic, but in a previous thread it seemed that
Squid doesn't support this yet:
 * http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-users/200811/0130.html
 * http://www.mail-archive.com/squid-users@squid-cache.org/msg63741.html
 * http://old.nabble.com/WCCP-load-balancing-and-TPROXY-fully-transparent-interception-td20299256.html