Re: [squid-users] Squid vs WCCPv2 - Need help involving interpretation in Wireshark

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 16:17:26 +1300

Yanis Sauvé wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> PIX 525, os 7.2(4), WCCPv2. CentOS 5.4
> (2.6.18-164.6.1.el5.centos.plus).
>
> Configuration on PIX side seems to be valid, since I see a lot of
> traffic coming from the PIX on the cache-server in Wireshark when the
> redirection command is applied to the ingress interface.
>
> I was wondering what it should look like in Wireshark?

Should look like packets arriving on the main interface from the client
host.

Either Pre-NAT (outside the squid box):
    client-> web server
      squid -> web server
      web server -> squid
   squid -> client

Or post-NAT (inside the squid box):
   client -> squid
     squid -> web server
     web server -> squid
   squid -> client

NP: Squid connects to any IP of the web server independent of the one
the client was trying to connect.

Payload of the sub-stream squid-> server and back should be almost but
not identical to the one to the client.

> I do see my GRE tunnel interface but I see no traffic coming through
> it, it all comes over the eth0 (actually bond0) interface. Is this
> normal?

Yes. In wireshark the gre interface is not visible. gre interface is
unwrapping packets then re-scheduling them through the OS routing stack
as if they arrived on the primary interface. In your case it sounds like
the main one is eth0/bond0.
The only way I know of identifying the exact handling interface is
logging from ebtables or watching the receiving interface counters grow.

> If I do requests directly to squid, everything works OK, just not
> when the PIX takes care of redirection.

If Squid is configured properly to intercept traffic you should be
seeing NAT errors logged by Squid on non-NAT traffic arriving on the
intercept port.

Amos

--
Please be using