Re: [squid-users] Limit bandwidth per user (IP) in reverse proxy setup?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 21:21:55 +1300

EvertM wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I have Squid deployed in a multiple site, reverse proxy setup. Since my
> bandwidth is not unlimited I would like to enforce restrictions on the
> users.
> (I used to do this in Apache, but now that Squid is in front of it, those
> don't work too well anymore...)

Well. One of the purposes for using Squid is that is speeds up client
service. I'd suggest getting somewhere with higher bandwidth and placing
a Squid there.

> How can I specify that, for example, there is a 500MB of traffic/month/IP
> address limit?
> (I don't want to limit the speed of their connections, just the total amount
> of traffic per IP...)
>
> Any ideas?

The closest you can come to that is class 5 delay pool with the
external_acl_helper sending a unique tag back per IP.

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/DelayPools

It's highly inefficient and could potentially suck out all the boxes
memory by itself though.

Amos

--
Please be using