[squid-users] Config help for a new squid user.

From: Adam Gill <adamgill22_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 11:18:32 +0000

I'm trying to use Squid 2.7 on Windows in a multi user environment. I'm using a SAAS webfilter service (Webroot) and want to allow all client connections to go through a proxy first (which will be in a DMZ with a rule to aloow it out to the WAN) before hitting the internet.

Webroot recommended Squid and gave me the following info...

First, you need to give Squid a parent cache. Second, you need to tell Squid it can not connect directly to origin servers. This is done with three configuration file lines:
cache_peer wg.uk.wrproxy.com parent 3128 0 no-query default
never_direct allow all

I've put this into Squid.conf (found in C:\Squid\etc) and restarted the Squid service. The service stops with the message "The Squid service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do...."
I then checked the squid.log and it says

2010/01/21 11:04:21| ACL name 'all' not defined!
FATAL: Bungled squid.conf line 2: never_direct allow all
Squid Cache (Version 2.7.STABLE7): Terminated abnormally.

I'm now a bit stuck with what to try next - I have had a look at the Wiki but I have to confess that it didn't help me work out the problem. Can anyone help before I have to go back down the ISA route :( I'm sure the conf should have a lot more info than just those few lines.

Any advice would be great
Cheers
Adam
Send us your Hotmail stories and be featured in our newsletter
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/